Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Monday, November 23, 2015

New Arrivals

Just about the time I was closing in the little Power House, parts of the system began to arrive. First was a trailer load of solar panels. Thirty to be exact.


Carolyn came back from her world travels just in time to help me unload the solar panels so I would have the trailer for the battery. I can't believe these trucking companies take your money for residential lift gate service and they show up in a semi that can't navigate my driveway.



A few days later, the battery was delivered. Forty cells weighing 49 pounds each.

  

The fun part was unpacking these crates to once again free up my trailer. Here's a short video. Multiply this by 40.




The battery cannot remain like this. I have to be able to see the electrolyte level in each cell and the general configuration needs to be more compact. So, I plan to construct a simple stair-like series of four steps or shelves. Each shelf will hold 10 cells about 5 inches above the previous shelf. Since there will be about 500 pounds on each shelf, I've decided to use 4x12 timbers for the shelves. Each shelf will rest on three pylons of wood.

As usual, Storey Lumber had the material I needed. The 12 foot 4x12's were cut in half for me so I could get them to RW on the hitch haul. The material for the pylons came from scraps that were about to be burned. Just before the Thanksgiving break, I managed to get some trim and a piece of floor and ceiling in the Power House.





Blog Archive