Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Well, well, well...

Water. I've been transporting it from Atlanta for years now in 5 gallon containers. Water for drinking, cooking, and dish washing. Water for bathing has been harvested from rainfall off the roof of the bath house. Not long after I became employed again, I started thinking about running water and planning on having it run from the street out to the cabin. I surveyed the route testing it to 24" depth with a soil probe to find a relatively non-rocky path. I bought the hydrants for the yard, the pipe, valves, and other fittings. I talked to a man about digging the trench. Then finally, I talked to the woman from whom I would acquire the connection to the main and the water meter. She told me I first had to have a septic tank permit from the county. I explained I was planning on dry composting toilets and agricultural disposal of grey water and that I would have no need of a septic system. She said it did not matter. I contacted the county health department and found out that step one was to get an approved surveyor to perform a perc test. This is a test to make sure that the soil under the location of the drain field would allow the effluent to disperse at an acceptable rate. I hired a surveyor from their list. He came out and spent the better part of a day digging holes, measuring flow rate, taking soil samples, and surveying the immediate area of the proposed tank and drain field site. This service cost me $500. I then sent his report to the county along with my application for the permit and a $200 check. Guess what? They decided that my soil was not good enough as is (even though the surveyor said it passed his tests)and that I was going to have to haul in more soil and start over. Those of you who know me can easily imagine how I reacted to this news. I'll leave it at that.

Now, I have a well. The driller tells me I have 25 gallons per minute flow into my well. That is ten times more water than I will ever use. It has a little iron in it but I hear that is good for you :)



I have obscured the name and number of the drilling company to protect the innocent. Needless to say, I have refrained from trying to go by the book. From here on out I'm doing things my way and I ain't askin' permission. This man did an outstanding job for me and I highly recommend him. Call me if you would like a referral.

Blog Archive