Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Potholes and Turkeys

On Friday, I was able to take off early because I worked some long days during the week. It was a pretty day and I hoped to get a lot of work done.

Speaking of work, here is a fine example of the importance of sequence. It seems to me like it might have been better to fill the pothole in the middle of the road BEFORE yellow lines were painted. But that is just my opinion. 


Early Saturday morning, I looked out my South-facing window to see a couple of wild Turkey scratching around in the leaves. I took a couple of shots out the window but because of the screen and 50 yards distance, I was sure the shot wouldn't be very good. So I tried to sneak out the back door to get a better shot. Those hens took off like their tails were on fire. I never even made it to the second step. So this is the best I have...



I cut up some scraps of OSB and began to close in around the window bays I had last installed. I made this video mainly for my grandchildren. The table saw was my grandfater's and the table itself was made by him. The original electric motor drives it though I fear it does not have many years left. Four generations of us have used this saw.


It turned out to be a foggy/misty weekend. No wonder thay call it Cloud Land. It is beautiful...

Blog Archive