Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Relaxing Memorial Day

Memorial Day weekend, I mostly took it easy. I did completely empty my tool shed, thoroughly clean the inside, and rearrange everything neatly.






The garden tools were relocated to the bath house. See the logic? You dig and get dirty, Then when you put your tools away, you are right there where you can take a shower :)



While the shed was empty, I took the opportunity to shore up the floor with a center brace.



Probably the best part of the weekend was on the way out. I stopped to check on a tomato plant and I happened to notice that our raspberries were actually producing fruit. Some of it was even ripe! :)


Blog Archive