Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Electricity... unconnected

Well, if the walls are wide open, why not put wires in them? That is our thinking. Because someday, we will have electricity, whether it is from the county, the sun, a windmill.... so Russ is wiring. Here's the thing: this cottage has about the same supply as when I bought my house in Atlanta: 60A or something.


He finished and we finished the insulation and I painted the ceiling. Had to be brush. Roller doesn't do well on beadboard. But it's done. Richmond Woods is not a place where I typically look my best. But the ceiling looks great!


Blog Archive