Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Prelude to Metal

Yesterday I went up to take some final measurements of the roof for ordering the sheet metal. Rod dropped by and we attached the final barge rafters over the porch gable.

I built one of the 4x4 brackets that will support the barge rafters at 4 places on each gable end.

I will use this one as a template for quickly building the remaining eleven.


I also shamelessly spent time admiring and photographing some of the beautiful spring flowers.



Blog Archive