Working on a big canvas: 40 acres on Lookout Mountain, Alabama.


Purchase and Location

I bought this property in 2005 and named it Richmond Woods for my father who taught me about nature and respect for the wild. It's located in Alabama near the Alabama/Georgia state line. The small nearby village of Mentone, AL has been a mountain retreat for 150 years for people escaping the summer heat of Birmingham and Atlanta. My companion, Carolyn, has helped me every step of the way.

A Cottage in the Woods
When you were little, did someone read fairy tales to you? Invariably, there was mention of a cottage in the woods. Our plan is to build such a place: handmade, no architect plans, buying local materials or using salvaged materials. The purpose of this blog is to document our progress.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Finished Sheathing (for now)

This past weekend, I finished the sheathing on the screen porch; at least as far as I can go till I finish framing the door. I am now very near to the first 'anniversary' of ground breaking!

It is time to start making plywood reinforcing plates (called 'scabs') for my trusses.

I just hope I can have a few more weekends as beautiful as this past one.

There is nothing like working in shirtsleeves the first day of February!

Blog Archive